caligulawyer

The most smart aleck law student blog of them all. Do not try this at home.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Muffies and a request for some advice, but not from Muffies

Well, trial team is over, and overall I'm glad to get back to my life. Of course my first act was to take a sick cat to the vet and wait to get worked in and charged $250, but we've already established life just doesn't fucking stop, then, haven't we? At any rate, I'm rather discouraged, not really because my team didn't make it to the next round but because of some of the really shitty behavior I saw and in realizing I've got a lot to learn about not letting people get under my skin. Our first round we beat a pretty tough team, then got something called a 'buy' for the next round which I think means you get a technical win but obviously means you don't get to go make your points then faced this team that cheated so badly it truly disgusted me. Knowing that 'outside the record' isn't an objection and that the judges hadn't read the materials, they abused the witnesses - first year students who were giving up their time to help out - and stretched the facts in ways I couldn't believe they could sleep over. It didn't help that the chick on the other side looked like one of those upturned nose, overprivileged, Muffy types who push maids around buy lap dogs that piss everywhere. You know, my antithesis. I was born in a trailer, have worked on a farm, am not sure what all a maid actually does and have a 14 year old, one eyed tabby cat who is missing several teeth. I just can't resist the urge to want to kick the shit out of a Muffy type when she tries to shove me around. Sigh. It's something I've got to work on.

So two things here. One, it's disturbing to me to see so close up how lawyers get the reputation of sleaziness. It was also disturbing to have to spend most of my energy trying to figure out how to work around their crap and thus having a harder time actually scoring points. Don't get me wrong. We had them on the ropes and called them on their crap a few times, and it was totally sweet. But the other, and really more important thing: as my coach said, I need to learn how to not kick people when I get them down, which to be honest, I really really want to do. I figure if you are going to do something, do it all the way, but apparently that isn't proper. And I need to not let people piss me off so much and to let them dig their own holes. For instance, I just had to add "we would not object to opposing counsel refreshing the witness' memory with something that is ACTUALLY ON THE DEPOSITION" to point out some cheating and one of the judges totally missed my point and told me not to tell the opposing side how to cure their mistakes. It looks like by this time in life I'd learn that when I try to fuck someone else up I only fuck up myself, and to let people fuck themselves up when they try to fuck me up instead of fucking up and getting involved. Does that make any sense? Well it shouldn't! When I'm right, I'm right, dammit! Right? Um.... or not so right after all?

Anyway, I've got some things to learn. I can swing with the best of them but you know, that isn't the whole game. Anyway, I'd sure like a note or two from some practicing lawyers out there, since a recent comment has assured me that not every lawyer, in fact, works 100 hours a week (thank you, whoever you are!) so maybe one of you have time. Oh, and Muffy, if you're reading this, I hope your little dog pees on you.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its over! Enjoy your freedom!

 
At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the same lawyer who commented to your last post. A very wise practicing attorney gave me this advice when I started law school- "Think of law school as your ticket to the Bar Exam. No more and no less. After a few years out practicing in your chosen field (in my case this was criminal prosecution) NO ONE will care where you went to Law School or about your trial team record."

Unless your goal is a Wall Street/or big NY/DC firm (and I'm guessing that is not it based on other things you have written)law school is truly a means to achieve an end- the ability to practice law- which can mean so many things. In a few years you will be practicing law and learning from actual lawyers- Muffy will be working 120 hours a week at some big, anonymous firm focused on corporate greed and stabbing her colleagues in the back to get to partner first. They will be doing the same to her. If that is the kind of law you want to practice be worried about Muffy. If not, ignore her.

I will definitely keep reading to see how you are doing. Keep your chin up- also good advice in many situations!
fellow dyke lawyer
fellow dyke lawyer

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After nearly 20 years of practice, law school doesn't matter AT ALL. All the stuff you learn is out of date by the time you learn it anyway.

But the behaviours you observed, the intimidation push the envelope posturing assholitude? That's everywhere in litigation that I've been. It's better than solving disputes with fists, but only marginally.

It's different in other areas of practice, though, so don't despair!

 

Post a Comment

Law Blogs - Blog Top Sites

<< Home

BlogTagstic - Blog Directory